Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Boys Home

I visited the boys hostel for the first time today. I'm working on a longer post that goes into more detail about Little Lambs School, but for the purpose of this post you just need to know that about 50 of the students come from very rough backgrounds and have been placed in one of three group homes the school runs: Children's Home (next door to my flat), Boys' Home, and Girls' Home. The volunteers go to each one once a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) to help with homework and play with the younger kids. My flatmate and fellow volunteer Pauline has been very sick for the past 10 days, so this was the first day she was able to take me along.

 

Probably the most exciting part about Boys' Home right now is that they have puppies.

I spent the majority of my time hanging out with some of the younger boys in the yard playing with the extremely tolerant puppies, and a little time towards the end helping with math, science, and social studies homework. I definitely had to look up some of the math information- who actually remembers how to apply exponential functions to fractions?

 
This little lady just hung out like that for about ten minutes without complaining

 

 

P.S. For those who were following the saga, it looks like Pauline does not have Dengue fever! We are all very pleased.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment