Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Immigrant

It's kind of weird to think that, technically speaking, I am an immigrant. I had to go to immigration today, as does anyone who is here for more than three months (I haven't been her quite three months yet, but the day is rapidly approaching). Basically, everyone who moves to France is required to have a medical exam. For some people, this will be the first time they have ever seen a doctor. And they can't discriminate by country, so everyone gets to see the doctor! It was about 4 hours out of my day, from start to end, but it wasn't that bad. Yes, there was lots of sitting (bureaucracy and all that), but I got a lot of writing done. And yes, there was that fantastically awkward part where I had to get a chest x-ray, but I also got a cool new sticker in my passport.

This was also the first time I've been back to the Bastille area since I started taking the bus, so I saw some new streets. For those who are wondering, I will never post a picture of the Bastille, because it no longer exists. The area is still named Bastille, but the actual building was torn down. It's material now makes one of the bridges (I'm inclined to say Pont d'Alma, but am probably totally wrong) that crosses the Seine. I learned that on the boat cruise the other night! Not the torn down part, I already knew that, but the bridge part. Which seems pretty snazzy to me.

Treated myself to a little picnic of bread, brie, and ice-cold Limonata in one of the tiny parks right next my foyer, since it was lovely and sunny out when I finished at Immigration. Spring Break starts in just over a week!

Oh yes, and I got to keep my x-ray. Who knows.

2 comments:

  1. The bridge is the one that crosses the Seine at the Place de la Concorde, fittingly called the Pont de la Concorde. I was so curious about where the stones from the Bastille had gone - what luck that they mentioned it in the tour!
    What are you going to do with an x-ray of your chest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci!

    I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. For now, there are a few shadowy objects that are clearly organs, but I have no idea what something that small and high would be, so I'm going to spend some time learning what all is on it. Then I'll probably trash it?

    ReplyDelete