Monday, March 28, 2011

Provence: Aix-en-Provence

Aix is a wonderful little town. It is apparently a very popular destination for study-abroad students, and is very much a pricey little college town. But at the same time, it is also very French, rather small and quaint, and very historic. We were there on a Saturday, which meant that all of the street markets and flea markets were in full swing.

The first thing to know about Aix: there are fountains everywhere.





Just a sampling for you! I spent most of the day wandering through the various little alleys of Aix, but made sure to stop at the market in the morning.




I walked away with two excellent scarves and a Celtic-knot silver ring.

Now onto the wanderings!








I stopped for an excellent lunch, wrote some postcards (which I've been a bad girl and still haven't sent), and got quite the sunburn. 


A little more wandering, and perching by some fountains, and then it was time to meet up for our bus to our train to Paris!





I should have some fun Paris-y updates for you over the coming weekend- I'm hosting Katie of London: Day Two and some of her friends this weekend, and will be shepherding them all over this fair city of mine. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elena:

    It looks like you're having fun. Tu parles bien le francais?

    I'm off of tennis with a calf injury. Hoping to start physical therapy soon.

    I can't wait till you return to Seattle!

    Love,

    Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that gnocchi and french rolls? In a Parisian cafe? With a very Parisian view? Who said you were supposed to be having this much fun?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elena:

    My last comment didn't post but here goes. This isn't about Europe but they just had a TV ad for Pirates of the Carribean with Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz! I can't wait to go to some movies with you this summer!
    I got your postcard from London today. Thank you!

    Love,

    Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elena:

    Je suis contente que ton facilite avec la lanque francaise va bien.

    Tu me manques! (I miss you).

    I'm enjoying your blog!

    Love, Auntie Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elena:

    I'm enjoying your posts from Scotland! You would make a great travel writer. I think you're a great writer generally and you do a very nice job with the travel writing.

    Love,

    Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete