Saturday, January 22, 2011

Louvre

I lied, the next update is not going to be what was teased. But try not to dispair, I think I still have something pretty exciting for you: the Louvre!

On Thursday afternoon, all of the Central folks went to the Louvre.

Central folks: The group of 16, including myself, 15 of whom are female, who are studying in Paris via Central College. We live in groups of two or 3 in a variety of different foyers (but none as roommates), get together for college sponsored outing (and now also ones of our own making), have the same selection of classes though we are not necessarily taking the same ones, etc. 

We received our student IDs for Catho, our French college, earlier in the week, and beyond having the ability as functional ID, it has one very special function:

It gets us into the Louvre for free.

That's right folks, I can now go to the Louvre whenever I want, at no cost. Which is good, because we were only in it for less than two hours. Our guide made sure we hit all of the highlights, though. 

Inner pyramid








Our guide, in front of some models of the Louvre palace in the middle ages


The Venus de Milo
Can you see the weird guy lying down on the floor taking pictures? It's like he was trying to get a shot up her skirt, not realizing that, being made of stone and permanently attached to her body, it was never going to go anywhere!
Everyone's seen this big picture right? It takes up an entire wall. But have you ever noticed.... 
The puppydog on the table? I think it's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They're one of my favorite breeds =)


And there she is....
The Mona Lisa
Everyone says the Mona Lisa is surprisingly tiny, so I was expecting something maybe only a foot tall. Lies. It is a standard portrait size. I guess it's just that so many other portraits of the time were significantly larger than life. 

And after we got out, the Paris night was just so beautiful that Kelsey, one of the Central folk, and I decided to take a little side-trip....

Not the L'Arc de Triomph (though I did see that later), but a gorgeous night in front of the Louvre




No comments:

Post a Comment