Friday, January 21, 2011

Touristyness

My first pictures from Paris! Aren't you excited? I'm excited.

Two days ago (Wednesday), I went to Montmartre. It was my randomly assigned Metro stop for the program's scavenger hunt, designed to help familiarize ourselves with the Metro and key areas around Paris. Some people got super-sketchy areas (designed to teach us not to go there at night, I'd imagine), others got more destination-types, such as myself.

The first thing we had to find was the Cabaret Michou:
Le Cabaret Michou dans Montmartre a Paris
Then came the really fun stuff: The Marché St. Pierre and the Funiculaire!

The Marché St. Pierre is simply a large market at the base of Sacre Coeur, the tall church that sits on top of the hill at Montmartre. Lots of touristy items, as well as a huge textiles bazaar. I found the perfect polka dot fabric for a dress I've always wanted, so I might head back....

And then, of course, there is the Funiculaire. This is the odd escalator/elevator/moving platform hybrid that you can use to bypass the extremely large staircase that you would otherwise have to use to get to the top of the hill. Marcy, the girl I was exploring with, and I decided to be economical and take the stairs. I'm proud/glad we did, but OH. MY. WORD. I can understand why the Funiculaire was created!!
Sacre Coeur and the carousel at the base

Renaming this Rue de Stinky worked wonders in keeping me from getting lost

La Funiculaire

And of course, there was the view from the top!
Beaucoup des etages

Sur les etages (obviously near the bottom still, or I wouldn't be so happy)

Nearing the top of the mountain

Paris!

Paris

More Paris

The bride taking her pictures above Paris (smart bride!)

I was very sneaky in capturing this photo, but there were easily 8 people completely unaffiliated with the happy couple blatantly taking pictures


And here's just a quick teaser picture for my next update:


4 comments:

  1. Exciting! Out and about now! I imagine some is familiar from your last visit there, but now you get to experience it as a "need to know" since you live there and are not just trying to hit sites as a time-crunched tourist... how incredibly cool that must feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the giant hill place the same place I think I remember going when we were in paris? I am also attempting to remember how we got up there since I was on crutches at the time... or was that somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mkgroutlaw- it's a pretty nifty feeling =)

    @makemearunner- We took the Funiculaire. Elise took us there, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's what I thought. Just making sure!

    ReplyDelete